Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
Our Spinal Cord rehabilitation offers comprehensive rehabilitation for spinal cord injuries, either traumatic or non-traumatic, for patients needing a specialized and coordinated process to amplify a patient’s physical, emotional, and psychological ability. Patients benefit from neuropsychological treatments that maximize independence in self-care, activities of daily living, and mobility.
Our intense program provides ongoing care for patients. The goal is to prepare them for a return home independently or with assistance from family members or other care providers. Rehabilitation that is initiated soon after a spinal cord injury helps improve skills and helps patients move forward.
Our Rehabilitation Team
Our interdisciplinary rehabilitation team is committed to helping each patient and family progress to recovery. This specialized team evaluates and develops a personalized treatment plan designed to help each individual recover and develop the skills needed to return home and live as independently as possible.
The Spinal Cord Injury rehabilitation team includes:
- Physicians specializing in rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation nurses
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Case managers/social workers
- Neuro/clinical psychologists
- Nutritional counselors
Rehab in an Inpatient Rehabilitation Hospital
Our Spinal Cord Injury program is a specialized inpatient rehabilitation program dedicated to providing expert and compassionate care for recovery after spinal cord injury. It focuses on the physical and emotional effects of your injury with the goal of helping you recover to your maximum potential.
- Physical therapy focuses on exercise routines designed to strengthen and maintain existing muscle function. Our physical therapists will also help you learn how to use any required mobility devices.
- Occupational therapists help you learn techniques for managing self-care activities such as dressing, bathing as well as everyday activities such as home management. They will also provide instruction for equipment that will help you better perform these activities.
- Speech therapists provide training regarding breathing and swallowing.
The program focuses on:
- Teaching adapted activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Managing bowel and bladder control
- Addressing any social issues
- Improving psychological adjustment
- Promoting a positive self-image
- Maximizing your overall mobility, health and independence
We know the critical role caregivers and family members play in helping their loved ones recover from a spinal cord injury. We also know it can be stressful at times. Our care team offers support and information to help caregivers and other loved ones understand the recovery process after a spinal cord injury and how to best help their loved one. They also help direct caregivers to the right resources so they can get help and support when they need it.